Class Review: Soul Cycle
After reading about and hearing about SoulCycle for what feels like forever, I finally tried out my first class last weekend! I went on a fitness date with a friend and we hit up the 8:30am class at the new SoulCycle Short Hills, NJ location. This was the second weekend it was open and it was already jam-packed with people.
What I liked:
– The studio was really beautiful. So bright and welcoming and I loved the grapefruit candles.
– The music was awesome and definitely felt like a dance party.
– I was sweating from the very first song.
– The weights portion was great and a challenge and I also liked how easy it was to grab them under my seat.
– It was a challenging workout but I never felt like I couldn’t pull back if I was dying. The instructor was great about being motivating and also honest about knowing when to pull back.
– I left dripping with sweat, red like a tomato and high from the great workout.
What I didn’t like:
– The front desk receptionist barely acknowledged that it was my first time. I didn’t get a tour or any instruction. The instructor also asked who was new and I raised my hand but I’m not sure she saw me.
– The bikes were not comfortable and the seats were tiny! There was also no way to see what RPM or torque or anything like that. In fact, I wasn’t even sure how much tension I was using with the way the knob looked – there was nothing indicating the top or bottom so I wasn’t sure if I was making full rotations.
– It was SUPER hot in the studio. I felt like there was no air the entire time.
– The bikes were so new that I could barely un-clip and totally bruised my shin getting off of the bike.
– The studio was super busy and it was challenging to get my stuff into a locker and then get it back out in between classes.
– The price. Duh. $34/per class. OUCH.
Overall, I’m so glad I gave SoulCycle a try. I really do love spin (can you tell?) and the music was awesome and I felt like I worked hard and got my money’s worth. I’m not sure this could be a regular workout because it’s so pricey but something fun here and again with a friend. The Short Hills, NJ studio is beautiful so check it out if you’re in the area!
Thanks for a great ride, Soul!
P.S. I also had a green juice following class and then spent a good 45 minutes rolling my eyes and mocking myself. Then I had some cookies and felt more normal again.