Archive for November, 2013
After reading about and hearing about SoulCycle for what feels like forever, I finally tried out my first class last weekend! I went on a fitness date with a friend and we hit up the 8:30am class at the new SoulCycle Short Hills, NJ location. This was the second weekend it was open and it was already jam-packed with people.
What I liked:
– The studio was really beautiful. So bright and welcoming and I loved the grapefruit candles.
– The music was awesome and definitely felt like a dance party.
– I was sweating from the very first song.
– The weights portion was great and a challenge and I also liked how easy it was to grab them under my seat.
– It was a challenging workout but I never felt like I couldn’t pull back if I was dying. The instructor was great about being motivating and also honest about knowing when to pull back.
– I left dripping with sweat, red like a tomato and high from the great workout.
What I didn’t like:
– The front desk receptionist barely acknowledged that it was my first time. I didn’t get a tour or any instruction. The instructor also asked who was new and I raised my hand but I’m not sure she saw me.
– The bikes were not comfortable and the seats were tiny! There was also no way to see what RPM or torque or anything like that. In fact, I wasn’t even sure how much tension I was using with the way the knob looked – there was nothing indicating the top or bottom so I wasn’t sure if I was making full rotations.
– It was SUPER hot in the studio. I felt like there was no air the entire time.
– The bikes were so new that I could barely un-clip and totally bruised my shin getting off of the bike.
– The studio was super busy and it was challenging to get my stuff into a locker and then get it back out in between classes.
– The price. Duh. $34/per class. OUCH.
Overall, I’m so glad I gave SoulCycle a try. I really do love spin (can you tell?) and the music was awesome and I felt like I worked hard and got my money’s worth. I’m not sure this could be a regular workout because it’s so pricey but something fun here and again with a friend. The Short Hills, NJ studio is beautiful so check it out if you’re in the area!
Thanks for a great ride, Soul!
P.S. I also had a green juice following class and then spent a good 45 minutes rolling my eyes and mocking myself. Then I had some cookies and felt more normal again.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Here are some things from the worldwide internet I’ve been perusing and enjoying.
1. The Shrinking Women (Kath, also posted about this video today.)
3. James and Sarah’s Notting Hill Home. Yea – I know her! She was also featured in Apartment Therapy for her Supremely Stylish West Village Home (which I’m pretty sure I’ve shared before but I’m sharing it again anyway). Get ready to have some serious home envy.
5. Pre-op Beyonce dance party? Yes, please!
7. Everything on Buzzfeed. Now. Always. Forever.
A list of 7. Enjoy!
StephanieRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
On March 30th, 2014, I will be on the streets of Philadelphia once again running 13.1 miles in the brand new Love Run.
My running buddy Katie convinced me to give half marathons another chance and it seemed perfect to head back to Philly for half marathon #2. I am excited to have something to work toward and that I will be training in the colder months instead of the sweltering heat of the summer. I hope to beat the time from my first half marathon, even if it’s by a second…and of course, to have a blast!
Who’s joining us? 🙂
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )