A post about a lot of things
Hello, blog world! I think we all know my favorite way to catch up is to make a list so let’s get right to it:
1. Comcast is having their free Watchathon Week and so far I’ve watched the entire second season of Girls and the Beyonce documentary, “Life is But a Dream.” I’m sure it’s no surprise that I enjoyed both immensely. I think season one of Veep might be next on my list…
2. Earlier this week I peeled my Shellac manicure off in the shower and it was surprisingly easy. Is that good news or bad news?
3. My 30th birthday was on the busiest and longest work day of my career. I was at work for almost 22 hours. However, it was also awesome because all of my friends and family made it such a special day. Among all the goodies I received, some of the best were from my blog buddy. Addy and Justin gave me Georgetown Cupcakes and a Bar Method gift certificate!!! Do you think I was excited to open that? 🙂
4. I’m clearly taking this turning 30 thing seriously because the first thing I bought for my birthday was a new coffee table. Go me.
Image courtesy of CB2
5. While my 2013 fitness goals have changed a bit, I finally signed up for my first (and maybe only?) triathlon of the year. I’m doing the Iron Girl Athleta Sandy Hook Triathlon on Sunday, September 8th with my soon-to-be sister-in-law. She did it the past two years with my sister (I think that’s right) and I’m so excited to be participating this year. The race is all women which is another fun bonus and I’m excited that my family will be able to come out and cheer me on. I will have to start training in July (I’m planning on an 8 week training plan) so it will be H-O-T but with no other races planned until then, I think I’ll be raring to go.
6. Speaking of changing fitness goals, I am not running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler next weekend. While I absolutely loved the race last year, my work schedule completely threw off my training and when Katie and I ran 3.4 miles earlier this week it was really, really tough. I know that I am no longer in the running shape I need to be in to have a good race and when an opportunity came up for a trip with a friend, I just had to go for it.
7. My recent obsession with hard cider continues. I recommend Crispin Original, Angry Orchard or Angry Orchard Pear. Yum.
8. I didn’t end up making a Peep diorama for the Washington Post contest this year but I have to say, I’m not very impressed with the entries and winners this year. I don’t know what it is but I’m just not into it. Check them out here.
9. I went to Atlantic City to celebrate my 30th with some friends. It actually might deserve its own post…
10. Speaking of my 2013 fitness goals, let’s take a look:
- Complete races in January and February to finish my year of one race a month – January race completed, February race completed
Run a faster Cherry Blossom 10 miler (last year’s time was 1:39:11)
- Complete two sprint triathlons – signed up for the Iron Girl Athleta Triathlon on 9/8/13…might be the only one this year or maybe not!
- Do a 5 minute plank – up to 2:25 (need to get back to the Core Challenge)
- Try yoga – COMPLETED
11. I’m ready to get back into strength training and doing whatever work I want instead of having to follow a travel plan. I think taking a break from races until I start triathlon training will be a good break for me. Back when I had that really crappy run, I think it was a sign that I was burnt out and that it was time to change things up.
12. So, without running-focused workouts ahead, what does my weekend SIDI look like?
Friday – Friday Flow (yes, yoga!)
Saturday – Zumba + BodyPump
Sunday – 20-20-20 (20 minutes of step, 20 minutes of strength and 20 minutes of aerobic and anaerobic cardio)
I’m thinking that next week will definitely have to include some Bar Method 🙂
13. I feel like I am forgetting things I wanted to share but this post is getting pretty long.