Philly Half Marathon

Posted on November 19, 2012. Filed under: Uncategorized |

My second half marathon is done, it did not come with a PR like I was secretly hoping; however it did come with a lot of enthusiasm, happiness and a tear or two.  We got to Philly with no problem at all, got our packets, ate some lunch at Reading Terminal Market, stocked up on some chocolate as an afternoon snack and caught up with a friend who was in town to watch her boyfriend run the marathon.

My parents and sister also came to town and Justin and I went to dinner with them at Chick’s Social Kitchen + Bar.  I found this restaurant on Open Table the week before and chose it because it was classified as Italian and actually had a reservation available at a decent hour.  The restaurant itself was in an older building and had a lot of old style charm to it, but the menu was contemporary and very tasty.  I didn’t eat much for lunch and neither did Justin and we were both ready to order every appetizer on the menu. We only ended up ordering 3 – a salad, the wings and the zucchini chips. I chose the tagliatelle pasta with goat cheese and asparagus.  Perfect amount of carbs and cheese.  I really liked this place and I’d totally go back if I happen to be in Philly again!

My Mom and Justin at dinner

After dinner we went back to the hotel and I got all my stuff ready by the door. Justin made fun of me for taking a picture of this, but I couldn’t help myself.

I set my alarm for 5:30, but ended up waking up at 5 and pretty much every hour before that. I was mostly nervous that I was going to miss my alarm and the hotel bed wasn’t all that comfortable.

I headed out the door at 6:00 am and walked to the start line. It was only about 20 minutes and I knew there would also be people from my hotel making the same exact walk. I was not alone.  I made it to the start line, took one photo of the Art Museum and my phone died.

Yo, Adriane!

I tried not too panic too much, I had already told Stephanie I was heading to our corral and hoped that I’d run into her and Katie there, thank goodness I did!

We crossed the start line about 15 minutes after the race officially started. I had on throw away sweat pants that I took off just in time. I also had a throw away hat on that I gave up before mile 2.  While it was really crowded throughout most of the race, I didn’t find it too difficult to get around people when needed.  I was running in the middle of the pack after mile 2 and spotted Justin on the right side. I totally cut a few people off to make it over to him. I surprised him so much, he never saw me coming!

I saw my parents and sister before mile 3, they had awesome glitter signs that said Go Addy, loved them!  Was so fun running into them too and I knew to look for everybody again around mile 5.  I did see my parents and sister again there, but not Justin – which I was bummed about because I really wanted to tell him how great I felt!  Seriously, miles 1-6 felt like nothing – easiest 10k of my life.   As I was running down Chestnut Street, easily the best part of the course for fan support, I saw a sign with my name on it in the air, I didn’t immediately dawn on me that the sign was for me, but then I saw my friend Emily attached to it and was so so happy to have seen her!!!

The crowd support definitely thins out after Mile 7 and the hills begin, this is a nasty combination. Around Mile 8, I wasn’t feeling as great anymore, I had a lot of pain in my left knee and my right leg, but I somehow kept up a steady 9:30 pace (according to my garmin).   The last two miles were brutal though and I just wanted to see the end.  As soon as we got back to the world of people cheering, I was happy to know I was finally close.  There were a ton of people lined up on the finish and I know I looked rough.  My parents saw me and called my name, Justin was there too, but I didn’t see him.  I crossed the finish line with my arms in the air, but pretty sure a tear in my eye too.  I think I was just overcome with emotion about being done/hurting so bad.

Justin found me after the finish line and it was relieved that I could just hug him and let out a few more tears on his shoulder.  I finished in 2:06:31, just 2 minutes shy of my first time and while I was hurting by the end of this race, I still felt strong and am ready to tackle another half in the very near future.

And now because this post was already too wordy – some lovely photos!

mustering up a smile


District Delights Half Marathoners!

My race support crew:

Here is to the next one!


Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


    Two friends living and working in Washington, D.C. writing about life, food, fashion, design and living an active lifestyle…so, basically everything!


    Subscribe Via RSS

    • Subscribe with Bloglines
    • Add your feed to Newsburst from CNET
    • Subscribe in Google Reader
    • Add to My Yahoo!
    • Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS


Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: