A Weekend in D.C.

Posted on July 23, 2012. Filed under: Uncategorized |

After four weekends in a row on the road, I enjoyed a wonderful weekend home in D.C. It was filled with plenty of fun but plenty of time relaxing on my couch as well. The Dark Knight Rises was pretty epic. If you haven’t seen it, you should go now. I actually kind of want to see it again. Seeing a movie on a Friday night is the perfect way to unwind at the end of a busy work week.

I slept through my alarm on Saturday morning and woke up 10 minutes before I was supposed to meet Addy to run the 8k. Eeek! I rushed like a madwoman around my apartment, hopped in a cab and ended up getting there 15 minutes before start time. Well, it turns out that it didn’t really matter if I had been late because the race started 30 minutes late! Not cool, people. It was a rainy morning and it was muggy and we were just standing there waiting to run. Addy and I jumped into the first start group (even though I was supposed to be in the second group) and started off on the run, eager to be done already.

The entire race took place on a gravel path (the C&O in Georgetown). It rained for part of the run and we started off under a 10:00 minute pace but we soon slowed down and neither of us really cared. We didn’t want to race for a time, we just wanted to get that run in and be done. It was just one of those races. We made it to the half way turn around and were navigating our way back when I rolled my ankle on a rock.

A few curse words, tears and some walking later, we started running again. I probably would have just quit then if Addy hadn’t been there. My ankle was fine but when I rolled it, the first thing I thought of was the triathlon in three weeks and how I just HAD to complete it. I also hadn’t rolled an ankle in years (I know, right) and I think I was just mostly shocked by the feeling.

We finished the race and immediately bee-lined it to the car in search of chocolate croissants at Paul.

Patiently waiting for the race to start.

Post-race fuel from Paul.

I pretty much inhaled this chocolate croissant before we had even pulled away from the bakery. SO good.

Addy and I parted ways and the rest of my Saturday afternoon was filled with a nap, a massive apartment cleaning (I cleaned for 2.5 hours!) and some more delicious eats from Paul (buy early, eat later).

Smoked salmon baguette and a banana

Saturday evening started off with a butcher competition. Yes, a butcher competition. The Whole Foods right next to my apartment was hosting the semi-finals of the Whole Foods “Best Butcher” competition.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect but it was a fantastic event. Whole Foods had set up tents on the roof and there were plenty of tables and chairs to sit down. The $20 ticket included all the food and two beers. You could buy additional beer tickets for $5 cash. I had two Flying Dog Underworld beers – it was different than what I normally drank but totally grew on me.

I enjoyed lots of good eats (some so quickly that I didn’t get to take a photo). Every item was one or two bites so it was easy to enjoy a little of everything.

Thai sausage topped with cilantro, basil, jalapenos, peanuts and more!

Pork belly

Pork chop with arugula and heirloom tomato salad

Lemon vegan cupcake from Sticky Fingers

Not only was the food delicious but it was so cool watching the butchers do their thing. There were four competitors and I missed the first round but the second round was really exciting. They were all given a HUGE slab of meat and had to cut it down to a variety of cuts with minimal waste. It was really incredible watching all of them work. I never knew butchering could be so exciting!

The finished products were really impressive and we got to take a closer look. I snapped a pretty bad photo but it gives you an idea of all the different types of cuts that came off of the slab.

Two trays of cuts

Holy bones!

The butchers at work.

I’m really glad I went to check the event out. It was kind of funny being at Whole Foods for an event while other people were there grocery shopping. I snapped a picture from above the store and I thought it was a cool perspective.


I rounded out the rest of the night with a birthday party and some dancing. Not too shabby of a Saturday night if you ask me.

Sunday included a 20 mile bike ride and my first attempt at Mmm Mmm Sauce. It came out pretty well and tastes delicious. I can’t wait to use it this week for dinner.

Get in my belly!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!


Saturday’s workout: 4.92 mile run
Saturday’s meals highlight: Snacks at the Butcher Competition
Sunday’s workout: 20 mile bike ride
Sunday’s meals highlights: Mmm Mmm Sauce

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

One Response to “A Weekend in D.C.”

RSS Feed for district delights Comments RSS Feed

Where's The Comment Form?


    Two friends living and working in Washington, D.C. writing about life, food, fashion, design and living an active lifestyle…so, basically everything!


    Subscribe Via RSS

    • Subscribe with Bloglines
    • Add your feed to Newsburst from CNET News.com
    • Subscribe in Google Reader
    • Add to My Yahoo!
    • Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS


Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: